Monday, October 11, 2010

In the Tornado's Center

Nearly a year ago now, I got very sick. They removed my gallbladder and then my appendix or it might have been the other way around. Over the past year I have lost my job, my mind and even some of my mental and physical abilities. No one could tell me why.

Then my doctor said, in passing, "You've never had your cholesterol checked." That innocent enough statement lead to the test which lead to another test which is leading to more tests. My cholesterol was bad, really, really, really bad.

Jokingly I told my sister today that I didn't wake up one morning and think to myself, "I know what I will do. I will risk my heart and my brain - literally - by stuffing myself so full of fat that they won't be able to measure it." Yet, in a sense, not meaning to didn't stop the result from occurring.

I wasn't over weight.

I was active before I got ill.

My doctors, I think, wanted to resurrect the diagnosis of Hysteria.

All that time, I was eating without concern for what my intake may do to my body on down the line.

Well, I am in it now. The center of the tornado named Chaos. Where questions about my current health and future health hang in the balance. Where questions of the affects of my current and future health on my very way of life hang in the balance. All the while I struggle with memory loss, confusion and disorientation while I worry about my husband working overtime to pay for my medical bills.

Maybe I am crazy. I don't think so. But I invite you to do two things: take this journey with me AND get your cholesterol checked immediately.

LMNC

No comments:

Post a Comment